Sunday, June 20, 2010

On Mary Poppins



I spent the few hours of my Sunday afternoon watching Mary Poppins. I had always loved this movie as a kid. Until now it still leaves me mesmerized by its magic and then the underlying lesson. I didn’t know until I did a bit of research that there were a series of books that were published in 1934, 1935, 1952 and 1962. I have not come across any book about it and would rather just watch the movie. In the earlier books, Mary Poppins was portrayed as a vain, stern and almost always cross. And who wouldn’t be if you were caring for 4 children. Aside from the rather unwanted attitude, the storyline is still the same in that Mary Poppins and the children go on countless adventures.
In 1964, the version of Mary Poppins starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke featured an adventure or episode from the earlier novels but portrayed a much kinder nanny.
I didn’t know whether to be sad or not. My neighbor’s kids usually spend Sunday afternoons with me and they did not enjoy the movie in the least. They were rather interested in playing on the computer and playing other games. So there I go thinking to myself just how much things have changed from before. I used to be very happy with a good book. A movie was a treat. But then that’s what happens with change. Everything is fast paced. The kids are so in to technology and by the time they are about 10 years old, blogging would be a thing of the past for them. So I will just content myself with my blog or so called journal. No worries. Sunday will go on and I will relax for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment